Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Big Summer Plans...

This summer is gearing up to be a great one indeed, with weekend getaways, camping and even California how could you think otherwise. But when you overlook all the summer plans I have you might think that the road trip is the biggest plans this summer season. Disneyland, SeaWorld, In & Out, family and friends will indeed be a blast.

The funny thing is these are not even my big summer plans. I’m sure you would have a hard time convincing my 3 year old of that; he is very determined to get that photo with Mickey. For me, being the spiritual leader of my family flock, my big summer plans are the spiritual plans that I have for my family. My wife and I are kicking off a study through the book of John and I am also leading a men’s study through the book of Colossians. My son Peyton and I are still working on Psalm 1 and plan to have it completely memorized come September. I also have a big stack of books that I plan to read through, including The Practices of Godliness, Desiring God, Trusting God, Knowing God, Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life, The Lost Commandment – Have we missed what Jesus really wants?, and Improving your serve.

I desire to lead my family in the spiritual things in a way that pleases God. I want to be that example to my family of what it looks like for someone to follow Christ and live the narrow path, instead of believe in Christ and live life on the broad road. Believing in Christ makes you no more a Christian then standing in a garage and believing that you will become a car. God doesn’t save us and leave us unchanged (2 Cor. 5:17). The truth is that if my only desire is to do my best to help my family be successful in everything other than God, then I not only waste my life as a father/husband, but I help them get a jumpstart to waste their lives as well. I believe this is something the world needs more of; good godly men who desire to lead their families in the spiritual things. To have your family just focused on earthly things is to miss the whole point of God’s design for your family.

So when making your summer plans don’t just focus on the worldly things, but make God the first priority. Put Him first above everything else. You won’t regret it, and some day your children will thank you for teaching them the truth about what this life is really about. Below are some of my favorite Scriptures that speak about making plans and who is the center of my life as well as my family. Keep pressing, keep praying, and keep seeking God’s help when leading your family!! God’s wisdom and discernment are an endless supply to those who ask. God bless!!!

But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD Joshua 24:15b

But he who is noble plans noble things, and on noble things he stands. Isaiah 32:8

Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure. Proverbs 4:26

Commit your work to the LORD, and your plans will be established. Proverbs 16:3

The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty. Proverbs 21:5

1 comment:

Ryan Hall said...

A verse that for me has transformed the way I lead my home towards God is Deuteronomy 6:4-9. It is amazing what God does with our homes when we do what He says. I understand why many homes miss out on God's blessing because they raise their families their own way. Its why God gave fathers the responsiblity of leading in the home. We are to make sure we are living out God's Word in our home. Whether that is in regards to loving our wife (Ephesians 5:25-33), disciplining our children (Proverbs 13:24), discipling our wife (Ephesians 5:29), raise our children up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord (Ephesians 6:1-4).

Anytime we do anything in the flesh we work in vain and the Lord's hand is not in it. I feel the best way to show our children that we love Jesus is by diligently laboring to live out John 14:21.

Its amazing that God gave us His word, and that for us it is "profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work."

I am praying for you as you raise your family God's way! Keep your eyes in the Book, and be praying for your soul and that you would lean on His wisdom and strength. Proverbs 3:5-6 is some truth we all need to remember each day God would give us breath.