Thursday, July 31, 2008

Recommended Read - So, You want to be like Christ? - Charles R. Swindoll

I must say out of all the books that I have read so far (outside the Bible), this book has truly changed me for the better! God put this book in my life just at the right time. My desire is to be more like Christ, and less like this world. I long to reflect and see what true change this book brings into my life. I know this, I have already started to see real fruit coming out of my life from the pages of this book. Being a Christian I understand what Jesus demands of me. Being a true follower of Christ is hard, but also a very joyful experience. Walking with Christ is a delight to my heart, a comfort this world will never bring me. I agree with the book, He patiently waits for you to sacrifice yourself in small amounts, one decision at a time, one day at a time, so that you might enjoy an ever-increasing intimacy with Him. And this deepening intimacy with Him will inevitable make you more like Christ.

I wanted to also share a portion of the book with you that truly spoke to my heart. It comes from page 152.

If you truly are a believer in Jesus Christ, you have the Spirit of God dwelling within you. Yet believers also have an old nature - a habitual, sinful way of thinking - that Paul called "the flesh." Let me put it straight. The flesh is a self-serving, nonbelieving, godless mind-set that live by animal instinct. Its nature stance is facing away from God. Its innate priority is self-preservation. The lens through which the flesh sees the world is "eat or be eaten." It's the pattern of living that you inherited when you were born, that the world taught you as you matured. To make matters worse, it comes as natural to you as breathing. The Holy Spirit notwithstanding, the flesh remains within us, never improving, always ready to be satisfied.

So are you satisfying your flesh with the life you are living, or are you satisfying God? Living your life as a sacrifice to God as we are called to do in Romans 12:1-2? Lets be real for a minute, who do you serve?

But all in all, this is a book that I would HIGHLY recommend to anyone that desires to truly be like Christ! No pretenders allowed in this book. Through this book, God is moving in my life like never before. Its like the first time God's word came into my life....Sharp like a double edge knife...cutting right down to the point of conviction.

No comments: