Saturday, July 19, 2008

Is Christ enough?

Another clip from Simply Singular: Is Christ Prominent or Preeminent? Keep pressing in!

De we worship, love, and serve God for nothing? Do we worship God simply for Who He is or for what we will get from Him that we cannot obtain through our own efforts? Do we love God because He is God or for that which He gives me and does for me that no one else can or will? I did not marry my wife because of what I thought she could do for me or give me, but who she is! If we love the Lord only for what He has done for me, it is initiated by man and motivated my the flesh. Periodically, the statement heard, "Jesus did that for you [gave you salvation], now you need to do this for Him." Christ never said or even implied that! The Savior did not save us for what He could get out of us; He saved us for what He could give us - Himself!

Do we serve God expecting something in return - special blessings, particular fringe benefits, specific rewards, or certain compensation? Do we bargain with God: "Lord if you answer this then, Lord, I will do this for You!" Is the Christian life a "contract" with God - if He treats me well, then I will worship and serve Him? But, if God disrupts my life, precludes my plans, thwarts my ambitions, hinders my success, or prevents my happiness then He can forget about my love and devotion to Him! The common attitude toward a relationship with God is, "What's in it for ME!"

There is comfort when there are no answers, reasons, or explanations as to why God let it happen. For the greatest comfort a person will ever experience is not attached to answers, explanations, or reasons, but to the Person of God Himself - the One Who is the Comforter.

How do you find comfort in God through your hard times?

Do you draw closer or further away when times get tough?

1 comment:

Jolie Hall said...

What a great post bro. Thanks for that. You keep preaching and pressing on for his glory!! Love ya!!