Monday, June 2, 2008

The Parable of the Sower

Matthew 13:1-9

The Parable of the Sower

That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat by the lake. Such large crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat in it, while all the people stood on the shore. Then he told them many things in parables, saying: "A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. He who has ears, let him hear."


I would have to say out of all the parables in the Bible this is my favorite one. Jesus shares how one takes in the Word of God. One of the most important things for a Christian is to meditate on God's Word daily as well as memorize Scripture. By doing this your able to 1) defend the Truth 2) grow in your faith 3) help build up other Christians 4) grow in your knowledge of God 5) lead your family Spiritually, I think you get my point. The blessing of growing in God's Word is endless! I don't want to misuse this blessing, but take full advantage of it!

When we don't have an understanding of God's word it will be hard to stand firm against the devil's attacks. That is why we should always have on the full armor of God. I'm learning that as I stay in prayer, as well as in God's Word I'm not so tempted to live like the world, but more of a life with holy ambition. If we as Christian's can't grasp the Bible, we're not going to be victorious against the devil when his attacks come. The devil is like a lion ready to snatch the Word of God right from our hearts.

God's Word is not only our comforter, but also counselor. God wants us to lean on Him for His understanding, and through that He will make are paths straight.

Does your soul long for more of God?

Psalm 42:1
As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.

Psalm 63:1
O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.

Psalm 25:25
Like cold water to a weary soul
is good news from a distant land.

How are you feeding your soul?

Matthew 4:4
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'[a]"

Remember food to the flesh is what the Word is to the soul.

5 ways I handle God's Word

1) love God's Word
2) ask God for understanding of His Word
3) obey it!
4) protect it in my heart
5) teach others

Church, Keep pressing, keep praying, keep God's Word in your heart!

No comments: