Thursday, May 15, 2008

Playing dress up with God...

As I grow in my knowledge of God, I come to understand the difference between man and God. I believe that is very important, that we have a proper view of God. I look at it like this, take all the sand in the world and grab a hand full of sand, that is what we are able to understand of God on this side of heaven. The rest of the sand still represents knowledge of God, and even when I do make it to heaven I don't think I'll ever fully understand God's mighty power, strength nor wisdom. My understanding is not able to comprehend God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

I'm amazed of how people simply play dress up with God. Why would God allow this to happen? If God was love why would he let my grandpa die of cancer? When tough circumstances arise in your life, do you start to prefer the God that lives in your box? Right now as your reading this what is your current view of God?

To many people, including Christians put God in a box. Even a short time ago I myself had God in a little box, but then something great started to happen. God started placing His Word into my heart! I started to grow in the knowledge of God! I would say that God commands us to grow in knowledge of Him. Just do a Biblical word search on knowledge and you will see.

Three things that will benefit every growing christian.

1. Study the attributes of God

2. Study the doctrines of grace

3. Study the doctrines of sin

We as Christians are called to be imitators of God, and in Galatians 5 we also see a list of the characteristics of a Spirit filled life. We are very limited on how much we are able to imitate God. There is a huge difference between us and God. Remember God is BIG, we are small. Let's start to fear God and not man!

God is all mighty
All glory, all honor, all wisdom, strength and power are yours alone forever!
We lift your name high!

Keep pressing, keep praying, keep growing in your knowledge of God!

2 comments:

Jake said...

Seann, i have read this post and found it very insightful and i did ask myself if i was putting God in a box...but rather i think i am in doubt...doesnt God say pretty much that if you believe in god that you will be saved anyways?

Seann said...

Jake,

It's more than just to believe in God. The devil himself believes that there is one true God.

James 2:19 says:
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.

Just believing in the facts about Jesus Christ will not make you right with God, nor save you.

True saving faith will follow with obedience to God.

Deuteronomy 11:1
Love the LORD your God and keep his requirements, his decrees, his laws and his commands always.

Joshua 22:5:
But be very careful to keep the commandment and the law that Moses the servant of the LORD gave you: to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to obey his commands, to hold fast to him and to serve him with all your heart and all your soul."

John 14:21:
Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

1 John 2:3:
We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands.

Salvation starts with faith.

You should pick up the book "Saved without a doubt" by John MacArthur. It might get you going in the right direction.

Just remember Jake, God is mighty to save and only Him. Seek Him with all your heart, might, and strenght, and then you will find Him.

I'll be praying for you Jake.

How is life going for you?

Love in Christ,
Seann