Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Demand #6

So I'm really taking my time on the book What Jesus Demands from the World. I'm only through demand #6. Really is a great way for me to end my day, by meditating on what Jesus wants from me as a Christian! I thought this one was SO GOOD that over the next few days I will post a different part of Demand #6. So here we go.

Demand #6

LISTEN TO ME


He called the people to him again and said to them, "Hear me, all of you, and understand." Mark 7:14

As he said these things, he called out, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." Luke 8:8

Take care them how you hear. Luke 8:18

And a woman named Martha welcomes him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said. :Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken from her." Luke 10:38-42

The entire life and work of Jesus is one great argument why we should listen to his word. Page after page of the New Testament Gospels pile up reasons to turn off the television and listen to Jesus. Here are some of those reasons - and why so many don't listen.

NO ONE EVER SPOKE LIKE THIS MAN
Jess' ministry was so astonishing and so threatening that his adversaries wanted him out of the way. So the Pharisees "sent officers to arrest him" (John 7:32). But to their dismay the officers came back empty-handed, not because Jesus had good bodyguards, but because his teaching was so stunning. "The officers...came to the chief priests and Pharisees, who said to them, 'Why did you not bring him?' The officers answered, 'No one ever spoke like this man!" (John 7:45-46). When they listened to Jesus, they could not follow through with their mission to arrest him.

No comments: