Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Saved without holiness?? Can it be?

This is a sort of a part II post to my last blog entry titled "As a Christian can I "Opt" out of that?". I must say this book I've been reading has so much meat, I can see why its been around for 20 years. Ever tried to tackle a 24oz steak in one meal...I'd imagine you would feel like a little blue oompa after you where done. That's kinda like how this book is, not one that you would blow through in one day, you might miss the point.

Today I want to post a portion of chapter 3 which is titled "Holiness is not an option".

The whole purpose of our salvation is that we be "holy and blameless in his sight" (Ephesians 1:4). To continue to live in sin as a Christian is to go contrary to God's very purpose for our salvation. Holiness, then, is not necessary as a condition of salvation - that would be salvation by works - but as a part of salvation that is received by faith in Christ.

Therefore, we may say that no one can trust in Jesus Christ for true salvation unless he trusts in Him for holiness. This does not mean the desire for holiness must be a conscious desire at the time a person comes to Christ, but rather it means that the Holy Spirit who creates within us saving faith also creates within us the desire for holiness.He simply does not create one without the other.

Holiness also is necessary for our assurance of salvation - not at the moment of salvation, but over the course of our lives. True faith will always show itself by its fruits. "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

The only safe evidence that we are in Christ is a holy life. John said everyone who has within him the hope of eternal life purifies himself just as Christ is pure (1 John 3:3). Paul said, "Those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God" (Romans 8:14). If we know nothing of holiness, we may flatter ourselves that we are Christians but we do not have the Holy Spirit dwelling within us.

Everyone, then, who professes to be a Christian should ask himself, "Is there evidence of practical holiness in my life? Do I desire and strive after holiness? Do I grieve over my lack of it and earnestly seek the help of God to be holy?

It is not those who profess to know Christ will will enter heaven, but those whose lives are holy. Even those who do "great Christian works" will not enter heaven unless they also do the will of God.
** Jesus said,

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' (Matthew 7:21-23)

No need for me to add to that, the book itself is very clear for us to understand a little more why holiness is not an option for us Christians!

Hebrews 12:14 says:
Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.

Keep pressing, keep praying, keep looking for holiness in your walk!

**The pursuit of holiness by Jerry Bridges (pg. 33,34,37,38)

No comments: