Tuesday, August 5, 2008

As a Christian can I "Opt" out of that???

What I'm referring to is the holiness that God demands from His children. Are we not suppose to be set apart, different then this world? If our faith has not changed us, can it really save us?

I've started a new book titled "The pursuit of holiness" by Jerry Bridges. It's kind of a follow up from the last book that I read "So, You want to be like Christ?", this book going a little deeper. I'm only in chapter 2, but it's making me think. I wanted to share a part of the book with you. This gave me understanding if I'm able to opt out of this demand called holiness.

(Page 21)

God has called every Christian to a holy life. There are no exceptions to this call. It is not a call only to pastors, missionaries, and a few dedicated Sunday school teachers. Every Christian of every nation, whether rich or poor, learned or unlearned, influential or totally unknown, is called to be holy. The Christian plumber and the Christian banker, the unsung homemaker and the powerful head of state are all alike called to be holy.

This call to a holy life is based on the fact that God Himself is holy. Because God is holy, He requires that we be holy. Many Christians have what we might call a "cultural holiness." They adapt to the character and behavior pattern of Christians around them. As the Christian culture around them is more or less holy, so these Christians are more or less holy. But God has not called us to be like those around us. He has called us to be like Himself. Holiness is nothing less than conformity to the character of God.*

*The pursuit of holiness by Jerry Bridges (pg 21)

So, may today be a new day as we Christians pursue holiness. The holiness that God demands of us. As I posted awhile ago, are you seeing a different pattern of living as you become more like Christ? Reflection of change, do you see it?

But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy." 1 Peter 1:15-16

Keep pressing, keep praying, keep pursuing holiness!!

No comments: