Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Demand #6.1

If you have not read the post "Demand #6" please read before reading Demand #6.1

JESUS SPEAKS THE VERY WORDS OF GOD
When Jesus finished his famous Sermon on the Mount, "the crowds were astonished at his teaching, for he was teaching them as one who had authority, and not as their scribes" (Matt. 7:28-29). This authority was not because of a personality trait or a pedagogical technique. The reason is much deeper. His words have authority and power, Jesus says, because they are the words of God. "I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment - what to say and what to speak" (John 12:49). "What I say, therefore, I say as the Father has told me" (John 12:50; cf. 8:28). "The word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me" (John 14:24). Jesus' words have authority because when he speaks, God speaks, Jesus speaks from God the Father and as God the Son.

No comments: